RE: Some thoughts about GS

From: ian . mondragon
Subject: RE: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 07:44:15 -0600

i am bound by my objective-c/GNUstep fanaticism to respond...so here's my 2
cents:

1) i think that even considering integrating GNUstep with anything GNOME is
a hideous idea.  bordering on holy war-esque treason, and grounds to be
stoned over.  <grin>  seriously, though - not only do i, personally, despise
nearly everything about GNOME, (from it's childish, "i can do it better than
you can" beginnings, to it's [don't deny it] windows clone nature) but any
merger of the two instigated by the GNUstep community in many ways
completely nullifies the intent of GNUstep's existance.  let the GNOME
trolls figure out for themselves, after countless GTK+ version conflicts and
mounting code bloat, what is superior.  or just let them perish in the fire
and brimstone of thier evil UI on upcoming versions of slowaris. <hahaha>

2) apps.  not only do we need a few must-have applications that people will
greedily devour and drool for more, but we need applications that are simply
beyond the scope of traditional tools available elsewhere.  what these are
and how to go about creating them is the tricky part.

on the dev-apps side we have the infamous ProjectCenter & Gorm.  we NEED
these.  badly.  we need to all put our noses to the grindstone to help out
with these where we can - with ProjectCenter, we need to give feedback to
phillipe, cheer him on for the phenominal work that he has done thus far,
and come running with the water bottles when he gets thirsty mid stride. ;-)
for gorm we need to do all of that and then some - we need palettes for all
the things our peevish little minds can come up with.  then we need to use
them.

on the productivity-apps side we at least need the 3 fundamental office
productivity applications:

        - a mail.app (as has been widely agreed upon)
        - a spreadsheet (i too love quantrix)
        - a wordprocessor (perhaps we could integrate the main components of
AbiWord?)

there is also the possibility that someone out there wants to build a
DECENT, STABLE browser for *nix os's (good lord do i detest the selection we
currently have).  anyone ever use BeOS?  anyone love the simplicity & speed
of NetPositive as much as i do?  THAT would truly be a thing of beauty.
gargantuan project involving a rediculous amount of blood, sweat & tears,
but a thing of beauty nonetheless...

on the system-apps side of things we have a world of opportunity to
innovate.  *nix has so many nooks and crannies, and most have either very
well known tools for use,or shrouded, byzantine tools for whatever that
nook/cranny contains.  we need to create system applications with our
wonderous objective-c & GNUstep API wands that simply outdo anything else
out there...and do it WELL.  we need to have functionality, extensibility,
and resourcefulness in mind.  i am currently working on a suite of tools
(GNUConfig - see http://www.dragonhelix.org - at the moment not competely up
to date) that has become a sort of religion for me, as i try to apply bruce
lee's theory of "absorb what is usefull, reject what is useless" into it;
hopefully this suite will produce something of value in this area as it
grows.

actually, i feel that the systems-app arena is where we could possibly win
big:  if we meticulously design usefull system level tools/services, then
various *nix os's (the many flavors of linux, the bsd's, etc) will
eventually include GNUstep in the core system in order to utilize them.
period.  so many things these days are written in perl that it is now in the
base installation of pretty much ever *nix os.  python (my other favorite
language) isn't, but it probably will be some day.  i say we MAKE GNUstep
completely unavoidable.

i know we all have grand schemes in our heads for at least 1 or 5 GNUstep
projects <grin>, and i'm guilty of the same thing.  i'm working feverishly
on things that i haven't announced yet to the community.  i don't think it
would hurt to have a central repository for this, one that's not a subpage
of gnustep.org for several gimpy reasons, but mostly because we so badly
need the boom in development that we would probably be better off having a
site called dev.gnustep.org that would exist for the sole reason of
organizing works in progress.

or am i just babbling?

3) as far as publicity goes, i say we all get matching tatoos on our necks.
hahahha...

- ian mondragon