Re: GNUstep equivalent to the "open" tool.

From: strobe anarkhos
Subject: Re: GNUstep equivalent to the "open" tool.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:00:16 -0800

Shouldn't this be part of the WindowMaker project and not GNUStep?

I can and have used bundles without Cocoa in OS X, it's not specifically tied
to the OpenStep API. It seems everything bundle-related other than NSBundle
could be something more widely used, especially if the Darwin bundle format
were used. (this does NOT mean I'm suggesting adoption of Darwin code! I'm
merely saying if we all use the same bundle *format* it has a higher chance of
widespread use which IMO is a GOOD THING)

By the way, in OS X the open command will do different things depending on
runtime conditions. If a specific app or document is already open it will be
brought to the foreground. If I want to run two copies of an application I have
to do make a copy of the app and 'open' both. 'open' somehow knows when a file
is being used by a specific user. Of course you can open a document in two
applications at the same time by specifying the apps explicitly.

I'm not saying it has to be that way, but I do find it convenient.