testing for GCC 3.0

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: testing for GCC 3.0
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:24:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi

the official release of GCC 3.0 is now very near.

We need to make sure that GCC 3.0 can be used reliably to compile and run
gnustep, so GCC people can fix problems *before* GCC 3.0 is released (the
sooner we report problems, the better!).

We have reached the point that GCC 3.0 can compile the gnustep sources
(you need gnustep from CVS) - the last critical GCC bug was fixed less
than one day ago.  At last - just a couple of weeks before the release -
but GCC 3.x can now compile gnustep again! :-)

I suggest that anyone interested try installing the latest GCC 3.0 and
play with compiling gnustep with it, and report bugs and problems.

Hints: you will need `--enable-threads' `--enable-languages=objc',
`--enable-shared' when configuring gcc.  Once you have installed GCC 3.0,
you need to add the path of libgcc_s.so (something like /opt/gcc/lib/) to
ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig.

Do *not* use gnustep-objc.  GCC 3.0 comes with a fully patched and
functional shared libobjc, so there is no need to use gnustep-objc (the
point is - will that work ?  But that's precisely why we need to tests).