GUI bugs

From: M. Grabert
Subject: GUI bugs
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:59:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hello there,

first of all I'm very impressed about the status
of the GNUstep project! 'though the GUI (AppKit, xgps) is not
very fast and not mature enough for general use,
the rest is quite usuable !!!

I played a little bit with GNUstep (CVS, 12th of June),
and the latest GWorkspace and WindowMaker-0.65.
There are quite some bugs/missing features:

- no mouse wheel support yet.
- Alt-H works for Windows of X-Apps, but not for GNUstep-Apps
- Hidden GNUstep Apps are not marked with a single dot in the dock icon
- When switching between GNUstep Apps, the menus of all the GNUstep
  Apps are visible, not only the menu of the active GNUstep App.
  (seen with GWorkspace and Gorm for example)
- Some menu items are drawn like a "disabled" menu item, 'though
  they are enabled. But when moving the mouse over these menu items,
  they are displayed properly (seen with some GNUstep example).
- drawing is REALLY slow (in comparison to GTK).

I hope I helped you a little bit with this info.
I also tried to compile gcc (CVS), but I had no success yet
(fails at bootstrap4). Therefore I couldn't test GNUstep with
gcc-3.0 yet.
BTW, I use gcc-2.95.3, linux-2.4.5, XFree86-4.1.0 and glibc-2.2
(just compiled glibc-2.2.3) on a do-it-yourself linux.

keep on the great work!!!

sersn max