Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:23:01 +0200

Björn Gohla wrote:

> i am relatively new to gnustep, so please excuse my lack of insight.
> nevertheless did it occur to me that gnustep seems to draw relatively little
> interest by application developers, compared to gnome or kde. though i relize
> the comparison is a bit unfair, since the kde project started out with a
> ready-made commercially produced toolkit. considering openstep is rather
> mature and thus presumeably well known api, i wonder why there are so few
> people developing gnustep software.
> one thing that i come across every day is interoperability of different
> desktop environments. so i try to use software that fits together, like
> trying to use gnome programs when using gnome and unsing kde programs when
> using kde, i try to avoid stuff that does not match. visually as well as
> functionally. so for instance while all kde programs will keep away from
> underneath the task bar, programs written for other toolkits partly disappear
> behind the taskbar, when placed on the screen. i suppose improving
> interaction of gnustep with other toolkits could make it more attractive for
> developers.
> apart from that reasonable would it be to make gnustep "skinnable", enable it
> to use different look and feels (i would'nt mind aqua ;) ).

Is it possible to make gnustep themable by extracting all draw* methods from
classes that are derived from NSView to loadable bundle?
With this, I think, it may be also possible to use let's say KDE to draw
buttons - inheriting current KDE theme, or to use GTK to draw widgets - using
current GTK theme.

Also to make GNUstep apps more KDE-like, it may be interesting to have menus
attached to windows or to have menubar on top of the screen (as on mac).
GNUstep apps would not look like aliens.

Well, but I still prefer nextish environment ;o)

Stefan