GNUstep packaging (was RE: GNUstep version number(s))

From: Lyndon Tremblay
Subject: GNUstep packaging (was RE: GNUstep version number(s))
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:23:12 -0700

I think we should have some sort of package management and guidelines before
too many developers get involved, and it will help new users to get started
and keep them interested.

1. Binary architecture

- Simple applications could just use JIGS or Guile for portability.
        (it is possible to have JIGS/Guile bundles?)
- If not, packages/apps would be downloaded as source most likely,
        with the exception of prebuilt packages.

2. Package Management

- An installer/updater/dselect app, even if only using .tar.gz or .tar.bz2
with
        'GNUinstall.sh' which gets executed upon extract.
- Later on we could have 'GNUinstall.scm' for Guile-based install/uninstall
        scripts that could also have GUI interfaces for pre/post-install setup.

I agree with Dennis about simplifying the names for system packages,
GNUstep-LaunchPad and GNUstep-ApplicationPad. Perhaps they can be more
specialized?

- GNUstep LaunchPad (basic environment, make+base
- GNUstep Display LaunchPad (LaunchPad + gui/xgps/xdps)

Then, as optional system packages:

- GNUstep User Kit (user applications, mail, process manager, gworkspace,
what have you)
- GNUstep Developer Kit (duh, Gorm, debug libs, headers, gdb frontend, etc.)

--Lyndon