Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:31:32 +0200

I fully agree with you Dennis. I came to GNUstep my self a couple of
weeks ago after years spent on KDE and Gnome. I'm very skeptical about
the evolution of both : KDE is really heavy and Gnome is flaky. Plus
they lack conciseness and simplicity.

I think there is a real opportunity for GNUstep here. Make it easy,
simple and elegant. Your idea of splitting things in 2 (Users and
Developers) is the right one. And by the way this is exactly how NeXT
originally bundled NeXTstep... 2 CDs for 2 different audiences. And
having a global version that covers both is definitely a plus like KDE
does.

On the chapter of Window manager, although I agree that most of us here
would probably like to choose our Window manager, imposing Linux on the
desktop is primarily a matter of making things 1) simple stupid and 2)
repeatable.So if we think that there is a good enough GNUstep compliant
Window manager, then we should also make it part of the user bundle.
Whether you use the default one or another one is your choice then.

Let's make GNUstep the turn-key desktop environment for Linux.

My .01 Euro :-)

Laurent

PS: on a totally different chapter, could someone explain to me why
Windowmaker is said to be GNUstep compliant. Ok, it comes with the
NeXTstep look and feel but it does not use gnustep-gui right? So how
does it relate to GNUstep exactly?

--
Laurent JULLIARD - XR&T Technology and Alliances Office -  Open Source
team