Re: Catching a missing method call?

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: Catching a missing method call?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:29:41 +0200

"Mondragon, Ian" wrote:

> what exactly does the "missing" method do in ruby?

First of all the exact method name is method_missing and now that I have
looked at the forwardInvocation: documentation the answer is:
method_missing does exactly the same as forwardInvocation:

So I guess I have the answer to my question and you have yours as well
as a side effect:-)

> (speaking of which, why
> are people going so nuts over a python-ified perl? :-)

Ah,ah ! big question. I have been a Perl addict for years (in spite it
lacks of clean OO model). I have considered using Python several time
instead but have finally step back because Python did not have the
practicality of Perl.

When I discovered Ruby (a year ago) I finally had some thing that is
almost as handy as Perl while and provides the best OO model of all
scripting languages I know of. At about the same time and almost by
coincidence I discovered GNUstep and Objective C (yes I know... You
probably think that I must have been leaving in a bunker in the 1990's
to ignore this). And I loved GNUstep/ObjC as much as I loved Ruby.

Finally I soon discovered that there is a lot of similarities between
Ruby and Obj C approach to OO programming (Ruby has also inherited a
number of features from Smalltalk). So I felt that there was a perfect
fit between the 2 and I have recently started a pet project to build a
Ruby to GNUstep bridge. I'm making progress and it's a lot of fun...

By the way if other motivated people wants to join the RIGS project
(named after Nicola Pero's Java Interface JIGS) and write some code with
me they are welcome (Avi Bryant and Tom White are also onboard).

Hope this answer your question. Bottom Line: if you do not know Ruby
spend a couple of hours on it. You won't regret your investment...

Laurent