RE: Dealloc Notification

From: Gerrit Van Dyk
Subject: RE: Dealloc Notification
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:40:30 +0200

Helge wrote:

>I have two issues with that:
>a) compatibility (I consider that very critical !!)

This whole discussion started with incompatibilities. Currently your EO
object must inherit of GCObject or implement the GC interface, which is not
at all compatible with the 1.1 EOF spec. I have an object that gets
allocated from the DB, it then gets autoreleased because it is not needed
anymore. After a while the object needs to be retrieved again and then a
reference to the old object is returned from EOF, this reference is not
valid anymore as it was released previously. I cannot change the object to a
GCObject as this means that I need to change quite a lot of objects and it
will not compile under openstep anymore. Yes I could create a GCObject under
openstep that just inherits of NSObject, but is this correct?

Regards
Gerrit van Dyk

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged,
proprietary to the company and protected by law. If you are not the intended
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.