Re: Dealloc Notification

From: Gerrit Van Dyk
Subject: Re: Dealloc Notification
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:30:31 +0200

Hi again.

I hear all your comments especially the ones about MacOSX. It does all make
sense and I would definitely want MacOSX users to use the framework. Just to
clarify I don't want to rewrite the whole of the DB Library, I want to make
some changes to it so that it does not depend on the extensions library
anymore. I want to remove the EOKeyValueCoding methods and replace it with
the ones in Foundation. I don't know about MacOSX, does the MacOSX
foundation include NSKeyValueCoding like GNUstep's foundation? I want to add
support for .eomodeld files. I want to replace EONull with NSNull (again
does MacOSX include this).

Back to the subject of "Dealloc Notification". I think introducing an
EOObject class in the library is a good idea, I can then implement the
"Dealloc Notification" within this object and EO Objects will then need to
inherit of this object instead of GCObject. I can still implement a GCObject
that in turn just inherits of EOObject just for backward compatibility.

My biggest problem is that we have an application with += 900000 lines of
Openstep code, tested and in production for the last 5 years. I ported the
application to GNUstep, everything compiles fine, but when it comes to the
DB Library, everything starts falling over and gives weird behaviour. The DB
Library does not call valueForKey from within valuesForKeys so a lot of the
methods we implemented just does not get called. All our objects inherit of
NSObject etc,etc. Changing this to accomodate the way the current DB Library
works will mean that every line of code that has any possibilty of having
anything to do with the DB Library, will have to be revisited. This could
take months.

Regards
Gerrit van Dyk

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged,
proprietary to the company and protected by law. If you are not the intended
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.