Re: Antwort: Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:50:15 +0100

David.Ayers@brainag.com wrote:
> Thats the second vote for SuSE already! (I think I see a pattern! )

Well, actually I think that most distributions are equally good (I don't
know a bad one). But if you are starting to use a distribution you learn
to know the specific tools and therefore becoming dependend on them ;-)
We use SuSE for years now and therefore personnaly I find eg RedHat hard
to use since it is missing the YaST install tool...

> As far a I know, oracle is also free for developers isn't it?

It is, but *only* for developers. As soon as you need to buy it, it's
*very* expensive (but also very fast & stable).

> what is a GDL Adaptor (the GNUstep variant of an EOFAdaptor?)

Yes. There is GDL, GNUstep database library which is a rewrite of EOF
1.1.

> I just tought that the GNU "OpenSource" community generally supported each
> others projects. Besides the fact, that if something doesn't work I like
> the idea of at least beeing able to look in the source code to see why.
> (That is what I am missing most using OPENSTEP!)

Well, you have objdump ;-) Anyway, if you want to have an OpenSource DB
I suggest PostgreSQL over MySQL.

BTW: AFAIK neither MySQL nor PostgreSQL are "official" GNU projects.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises