Re: transparent icons

From: Stefan Boehringer
Subject: Re: transparent icons
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:35:26 +0100

As a sidenote Willem Rein Oudshoorn pointed out in private mail that [compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] is not equivalent to either of the DPS operators DPScomposite or DPSdissolve. This method is new to MacOSX. Is it just a wrapper for a sequential call of the above operators or does it do anything new?

Fred probably means pixelwise blending by the "simple and slow implementation" (do you?). Maybe such a trivial implementation may be enough for dissolving such tiny images as icons.

Since Ghostscript interprets Level II postscript these operators should be implemented there. Would it be an option for borrowing some code from them? (Hm..., maybe the old licensing issue... :-(

Best wishes,

Stefan

PS: Somewhere deep back in my memory, I remember that compositing (and dissolving as well I guess) was something odd in that scaling, rotation and flipping status of a destination view was *not* respected by the operator. This was (again I guess) for efficiency reasons to allow a pixel by pixel transfer from image to framebuffer without having to do scaling/antialiasing and so on. If you wanted such a thing you had to scale/flip/rotate the image first and then do the compositing. Maybe this has changed in MacOSX...