Re: transparent icons

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: transparent icons
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:26:23 -0700

Fred Kiefer wrote:

Stefan Boehringer wrote:

As a sidenote Willem Rein Oudshoorn pointed out in private mail that
[compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] is not equivalent to either of
the DPS operators DPScomposite or DPSdissolve. This method is new to MacOSX. Is
it just a wrapper for a sequential call of the above operators or does it do
anything new?

Yes, this is new, but I don't think it does a sequential call to the
above operators. It will rather use the alpha value given by the
fraction instead of the alpha values from the original images. But this
is also only a guess.

Fred probably means pixelwise blending by the "simple and slow implementation"
(do you?). Maybe such a trivial implementation may be enough for dissolving such tiny
images as icons.

I actually have a trivial fix to the current code which does this. I was going
to try to test it before

commiting it, but I could just commit it since it should not affect any current code.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you