Request for help - NeXT keybindings

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Request for help - NeXT keybindings
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:47:44 +0000 (GMT)

gnustep-gui can now read keybindings from files, which will allow very
easy customization of the keybindings.

Each of us has his own preferred keybindings :-) and as a matter of fact
I'm already receiving suggestions to put this or that keybinding in the
default ... :-) so I'm a bit confused - we need to have some way (other
than my, or Adam's, or anyone else's taste) to choose the default
keybindings.

the general principle I'd like to apply to rule this matter is the same
used in all the rest of gnustep-gui -

 - the default keybindings will be like in nextstep

 - everything should be done in such a way that it is as easy as possible
   to customize the keybindings for people who don't like the default

problem is, I never had a nextstep so I don't know what the nextstep
keybindings are. :-)

Would some nextstep lover/fan track all the keybindings used in NeXTstep
3.3 and send me the list (private email) ?  We might have to do some
approximation if the keyboard of a PC is different from a NeXTstep
keyboard.  Anyway if some NeXTstep lover would do that, we can have
precisely the same keybindings used in GNUstep by default.

Then, gnustep-gui can already load additional/different keybinding files,
I'd like to rework that a little but the general principle that there will
be a very easy way to override/change the system keybindings will remain.
When we have Preferences.app, it will allow people to customize
keybindings very easily - by either setting a user default (presumably to
load different pre-made keybindings files, for example a premade
WindowsKeyBindings.dict file giving you windows keybindings) or to edit
the user's own key bindings file directly (the user types in a key
combination, Preferences.app grabs it, then allows the user to choose to
which selector he wants to bind the key combination too).