Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:37:16 -0500

Nicola Pero wrote:

> > No that's not right. If we are drawing in pixels then that's an
> > oversight on our part. We should be drawing things to points, just
> > like in PostScript.  The X server should have all the information
> > necessary to make this transformation and it should be easy for us to
> > set up the initial scaling of a window to be correct when it is
> > created.
>
> The X server knows the DPI of the screen only if you explicitly pass it
> the -dpi option (I don't), otherwise it uses a default which is normally
> wrong.

XFree86 V4 checks the monitor and asks it what its DPI is at a given
resolution. If that doesn't work, I believe you can set it in the config file
with Option "DPI" "98x98" in the "Screen" section.

> Anyway it's ok - if you want to use pseudo-points as the units of
> everything, instead of pixels, then it's Ok - but you should scale all
> the graphics (images included) as well by using the screen assumed dpi -
> not only fonts.  The point I was making (and that I still make) is that
> everything must be scaled in the same way, you can't scale fonts in one
> way and the rest in another way, otherwise it's unusable, as currently
> is.

It's not just scaling things up -- internally, the graphics system should
really be using points internally. Even at the default X resolution, 75 DPI, a
pixel is not the same as a point -- it's merely close. At 75dpi, assuming
square pixels (not always assured), a point is 1.041667 pixels.