Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:53:28 +0100

> I think that's right ... the pasteboard system is designed to be
> associated
> with a particular workstation (and the CX term 'Display' corresponds to a
> workstation).  So the pasteboard server that an application should use is
> the one for the workstation upon whose screen(s) the app is visible.

that's the way also the X pasteboard works. If I launch a xterm on a remote
machine with the -display mymachine:x.y parameter I can copy & paste with the
other (e.g. local) x11 apps running in my session.

[...]

> How about ... because you didn't say where any other servers were?
> The pasteboard servers have to run somewhere, so I assumed that
> server A would run the X server software controling X display S,
> and it would therefore make sense for the associated pasteboard
> server to run on that server also (minimising network traffic).

yes, the pasteborad server runs on the machine the session started, e.g. where
you login. Because that will be the machine where you will execute most apps
anyway (otherwise you would directly log in into a remote server, e.g. using
xdmcp). A problem might be the case when an user starts the first gnustep app
of his session on a remote machine (to display on his local screen of course).
So there should be some remote way to start the gpbs on the workstation of the
user. (Personally I start the gpbs in wmaker's autostart script so dnd is
directly activated).

> Seems we just have confusion because your original email said
> 'screen' rather than 'workstation' and 'machine' rather than
> 'remote backend computational engine' or some such.  The second
> naming problem is understandable - I can't think of a nice short,
> clear term to express that concept.

hm, let me propose 'desktop' instead of screen/display/etc.
Because your desktop is
a) the place you work at :-)
b) you have the desktop environment which is the root of your session, it's
where your apps run in - whether remote or local.

If you log into a remote server via the network your x11 session starts there
launching the x11 window manager etc (usually at least), so that's the machine
your desktop runs on.

'remote backend computational engine' hm... there is the program xhost you
allow remote hosts to display there apps on your x11 display So I would call a
machine where the apps are run (in sense of using cpu, memory and disk
resources) just 'host'.

Greetings,
Martin