Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:45:12 +0000

On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 06:16 PM, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that.

<snip>

Sorry to sound dismissive, but I've spent a lot of time on this discussion and
I'm not going to devote any more to it.

Your statements of X terminology contradict what I've just looked up in the OReilly books (though you may well be right) so any discussion about X would
probably involve more confusion.

More importantly, what started as essentially a question of whether the OpenStep pasteboard server was associated with a screen or a computer (nothing whatsoever to do with X) seems to have become yet another pointless 'lets replace OpenStep
with X' thread.

The answer to the original question is that the pasteboard server is associated with the workstation on which an app is being displayed (though need not necessarily run on that workstation). A workstation corresponds closely to what the Xlib programming manual calls a 'display', but *not* to what you say is a display in X terminology.

Applications should really (ie this is what NeXTstep did) use a command-line argument to determine which host they display on (and hence where the pasteboard
should be), but this is not yet implemented in GNUstep.