Porting Cocoa eFax

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Porting Cocoa eFax
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:55:26 +0100

Hi,

I like the application you wrote big time. Now let me do some advocacy:
Did you ever hear of GNUstep? GNUstep (http://www.gnustep.org/) is an open
source implementation (underLGPL) of Openstep and therefore almost
compatible to Cocoa (some classes and methods are still missing). It runs
on various unixes (http://www.gnustep.org/information/machines_toc.html),
even a port for Darwin/Mac OS X is in the works. One problem of GNUstep is
the lack of applications. Therefore it would be great if you could port
Cocoa eFax to GNUstep. Even better it would be if you could also open
source Cocoa eFax. Then you could expect others helping you porting. Since
Cocoa eFax is already freeware you don't loose anything (moneywise) if you
opensource it - unless you plan to turn Cocoa eFax into shareware
somewhen. Another benefit from opensourcing would be that it turns your
application into a quasi standard for that type of application since there
exists (as far as I know) no other open source fax application for
Openstep yet.

Thanks for your attention and Greetings, Lars