Nibs from OpenStep -> GNUstep

From: Pete French
Subject: Nibs from OpenStep -> GNUstep
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:51:45 +0000

I'm new to this list, though not new to OpenStep, but in the
last 48 hours I'v decided to take a serious interest in GNustep, and
hopefully make some contributions...

I've been trying to port a simple program from OpenStep to GNUstep as
part of this and have some questions regarding the usage of .nib files.
I hope this is the correct place to ask, though Ip;m sure people will point
me in the right direction if not...

so, I used nib2gmodel to convert my .nib files to .gmodel files. All
well and good, it did 95% of the job, just dropped some connections off
a pop-up menu. So I would like to reattach these (and maye have a look at
how nib2gmodel does it). But I cant find any documentation on the .gmodel
format.

So my second through was to use Gorm. But gorm does not appear to be able to
read .gmodel files (though preseumably it can generate them so an App can
load them ?). Is there a converter anywhere that translates .gmodel to
gorm files so that they can be used ?

Also, even if I fix the .gmodel file, then this will happen ever time I
change the app under OpenStep and compile it for GNUstep. How do
other people cope with this ? Is there an app to go the other way (i.e.
from a .gmodel to a .nib) so I could develop primarily in GNustep
and then compile up for OpenStep ?

All in all though its pretty nifty - I;ve only every looked at the foundation
kit before, but the ease with which I got this app (sort of) up and
running impressed the hell out of me. It does need some bits
fixing, but I suspect those are poor .nib conversion issues. All in
all a very nice piece of coding people !

cheers,

-bat.