Re: NSMenu and AppIcons

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: NSMenu and AppIcons
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:31:32 -0800

Rob Burns wrote:
> It seems that an AppIcon won't display if it is set after the menu has
> been created and displayed. for example:
> I have an app in which the menu was created in a createmenu() function,
> that was called from main(). and the appicon was set in the
> applicationDidFinishLaunching method of the delegate class. The appicon
> wasn't getting displayed.
> Either ommiting the call to the createmenu() function, or calling
> createmenu() after the app icon was set, fixed the problem.

Sounds related to what I was going to ask ...

I need to run a background application, no menus, no windows, except an
occasional information popup. The problem I have, is, that I need the
app to start like this:

  int main(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
  {
    Controller
      controller = [[Controller alloc] init];

    [NSApplication sharedApplication];

    [NSApp setDelegate: controller];

    [NSApp run];

    exit EXIT_SUCCESS;
  }

but as soon as the delegate is active, GNUstep will create an application
icon, which is (in that particular case) a no-no.

So, the question is: Is there ANY way, to start up an application as
above, WITHOUT having an app icon?

--
Chris