Re: NSMenu and AppIcons

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: NSMenu and AppIcons
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:05:11 -0800

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:22:25 -0700
Rob Burns <rburns@softhome.net> wrote:
> >   int main(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
> >   {
> >     Controller controller = [[Controller alloc] init];
> >     [NSApplication sharedApplication];
> >     [NSApp setDelegate: controller];
> >     [NSApp run];
> >     exit EXIT_SUCCESS;
> >   }
> It seems to me that, if the appicon fails to get set by GNUstep,
> Windowmaker actually creates the appicon,a nd not GNUstep. I say this
> because in my example above, when the appicon would fail to be set, a
> right click on the generic appicon would give you the windowmaker menu and
> not the GNUstep menu.

Yes and no.

If you change the example above to something like this

[...cut here...]
int main(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
{
  NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

  [NSApplication sharedApplication];

  [[Controller controller] launchApp];

  [pool release];

  exit EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
[...cut here...]

neither GNUstep, nor WindowMaker, will create an app-icon. However, as
soon as one of the info panels pop up, WindowMaker (not GNUstep) will
create an icon (using WM's default pixmap thingy) - that's fine with
me, since WM will remove that icon if/when the popup is closed.

The problem is that I need to catch notifications to the delegate, so
I can't use the above snipped -- unless someone has an idea how to
catch them anyway.

--
Chris