ANN: GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre1 / Pantomime 0.9.0

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: ANN: GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre1 / Pantomime 0.9.0
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:32:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

After weeks of development, I'm glad to announce a new
release of both GNUMail.app and Pantomime.

GNUMail.app now works very well on both GNUstep and
Apple MacOS-X. This release is considered as a stable
release and can be used as a day-to-day MUA.

Here's a short list of what's new in GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre1:

- now able to specify multiple personal profiles
- now able to specify multiple transport methods
  (ie., multiple Mailer/SMTP support)
- filters suport for local mail spool file
- new mail rendering code (now more generic, faster
  and should support everything)
- now able to specify the signature position when
  replying or forwarding mails
- text/enriched support
- now possible to highligth and activate URLs
  in a message
- printing support
- now able to mark all messages are read/unread
- refactored a lot of parts, fixed bugs and memory leaks
  and also improved performance

You can get it here with new screenshots:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail

You can see the two screenshots here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0pre1/GNUMail-1.0.0pre1-OSX.jpg
http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0pre1/GNUMail-1.0.0pre1.gif

Here's a short list of what's new in Pantomime 0.9.0:

- timeout support when opening a connection (to a POP3
  server or an IMAP server)
- new MIME decoding code (now more generic, faster
  and should support everything)
- rewritten forward/reply methods
- new IMAP code (now way faster)
- APOP support
- UTF-8 support
- format=flowed support (RFC2646)
- refactored a lot of parts, fixed bugs and memory leaks
  and also improved performance

You can get it here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/pantomime

In order to use this release of GNUstep, you NEED to use
the CVS version of GNUstep. It will not work with
GNUstep GUI 0.7.0. It should work fine on all versions
of Apple MacOS-X.

I would like to thank the following people who greatly
helped me getting this release done by sending me
patches, suggestions and bug reports: Nerijus Baliunas,
Martin Brecher, Rob Burns, Jeremy Cowgar, Erik Dalen,
Tim Harrison, Anthony W. Juckel, Francis Lachapelle,
Frederico S. Munoz, Stephane Peron, Vincent Ricard,
Pierre-Yves Rivaille, Nicolas Roard, Andy Ruder,
Eric Sammer and Fabien Vallon.

The next version of GNUMail.app / Pantomime will focus
on:

- non-blocking I/O for send/receive operations
- better multipart/related support
- support for mh / maildir
- exception handling support
- SMTP auth support
- IMAP folder subscription
- and more...

You can look at the TODO file for each project to know
more about what's coming!

Again, suggestions, bug reports or even patches are
very welcomed!

Thanks a lot,
                Ludovic

--