Re: Problems building gnustep-gui-0.7.0 on RedHat 7.1

From: cga
Subject: Re: Problems building gnustep-gui-0.7.0 on RedHat 7.1
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:06:55 -0500

Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:27:31 +0100 (CET) Mario Martelli <wm@freiheit2.net>
> wrote:
>
> MM> Hello to everybody,
> MM>
> MM> I'm new to GNUstep. I'd just set up a RH7.1 System and decided to use
> MM> WindowMaker as my prefered Desktop-Environment.
> MM> I've realized, that I've to build GNUstep if I want to use applications
> MM> like Aileron or GNUMail.
> MM>
> MM> I've built:
> MM> WindowMaker 0.80
> MM> GNUstep-make, GNUstep-objc and GNUstep-base.
> MM>
> MM> Then I ran into deep trouble to build GNUstep-gui. After searching the net
> MM> for information, I've got, that I've to downgrade my gcc. So I've
> MM> downgraded to 2.95.2
>
> I'd suggest better to upgrade to gcc 3 (you can use rpms from RH 7.2). Then
> you
> should not need to install GNUstep-objc.
>
> MM> checking for main in -lm... no
>
> MM> checking for main in -lz... no
>
> MM> checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
>
> You seem not to have -devel rpms for zlib and probably others.
>
> Regards,
> Nerijus

---

I was experiencing similar problems with an RH 7.1 base and
following Nerijus's suggestion I installed a clean RH 7.2
choosing 'custom install' and the 'everything' option.

I found that this causes RH 7.2 to install two different versions
of gcc: /usr/bin/gcc (2.96) and /usr/bin/gcc3 (3.0.2).. At least
this is my understanding of the nature of 'gcc3' (confirmed by
an 'rpm -qi' on the package).

At that point I realized I had no clue how I could force the
gnustep install to use gcc3 rather than gcc. Since I have had
many different problems over the last few weeks with successive
attempts at setting up gnustep I decided to do a 'normal'
install - ie. with 'gcc' as the compiler - and take detailed
notes of any problem that I might encounter along the way.

Here is the list of tarballs that I used:

   gnustep-base-1.0.2.tar.gz
   gnustep-gui-0.7.0.tar.gz
   gnustep-make-1.2.0.tar.gz
   gnustep-objc-1.1.0.tar.gz
   gnustep-xgps-0.7.0.tar.gz

I did not install any other package prior to installing gnustep
since all the dependencies mentioned in DL's checklist appeared
to be satisfied on my RH 7.2 system.

I was expecting the install to fail with the gnustep-gui package
as it had done in the past but to my surprise and despite a fair
number of warnings the install process completed successfully.
Prior attempts had failed with an 'error 1' or 'error 2' apparently
informing me that some object or other was missing.

Please note that I followed the checklist provided by D. Leeuw
"GNUstep Build Stable - Version 1.0.2 Sept 2001' ...down to the
last comma..! Also that RH 7.2 was installed from scratch and I'm
not sure an upgrade from RH 7.1 would have the same effect.

The only configuration changes consisted in adding /usr/local/lib
to /etc/ld.so.conf followed by an ldconfig, and creating a
system-wide shell startup script in /etc/profile.d/ so the
GS environment variables are correctly initialized.

I proceeded to install the GWorkspace application and this also
installed like a charm and though it's giving me tons of error
messages - 'failed to recurse' 'permission denied'.. etc.. - at
least I am able to bring it up.

I was less successful with GnuMail but I understand from another
post (from the main GM developer) that this is to be expected and
that I need the CVS version of GNUStep to get this to install.

Hope this helps.