Re: NSRunLoop limitations

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: NSRunLoop limitations
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:40:20 +0100

>On Wednesday 23 Jan 2002 9:29 am, Richard wrote:
>
>> The use of select() is a historical limitation ... yes the base library
>> really *has* been around so long that when it was written a lot of
>> systems
>> didn't have poll().
>
>We ran across a problem the other day with an external library using
poll,
>that did not work on MacOSX - we changed to select and that was ok.
>
>Now I don't imagine anyone will be using GNUstep's runloop atop MacOSX...
or
>maybe someone is... but there must be other systems around with the same
>limitation.

While it really sounds silly to run GNUstep on Mac OS X on the first hand
(since MOX already has Cocoa), there are situations where it indeed makes
sense to run GNUstep alongside Cocoa: porting for instance. If one tries
to port something from Cocoa to GNUstep, it would be great to have GNUstep
on MOX. The other goal of porting GNUstep to Darwin/MOX is to give the
"pure Darwin" users a great GUI.

>Stephen Brandon

Greetings, Lars