Re: Gomoku.app ported to Mac OS X

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Gomoku.app ported to Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:35:23 +0000

On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 09:45 AM, Dirk Theisen wrote:

Hello, Nicola!
Hello, Lars!

Nicola Pero, are you listening? Do you still maintain Gomoku.app?
Aren't  you interested to incorporate the changes into the main
source tree?

Sorry for always answering late.

The application is GNU GPL, so you are absolutely free to distribute
your own version :-) as soon as you comply with the terms of the
license of course.

I'd be happy to incorporate changes allowing the application to run on
MacOS-X, if that helps merchandising GNUstep, with a single important
restriction - I don't want in my sources any file in a binary
proprietary format which I can't read - so no apple binary nibs - you
need to make a source-code only port.

I wonder why GNUstep is not simply using the plist format as Apple does for compatibility (and merging in cvs). Here is an example of the "nibtool" commandline tool output used for this purpose. It can also convert plists back into nibs.

Because it would not aid compatibility in the slightest. The fields within the plist and their meanings are undocumented, and proprietory and reflect the implementation details of the objects encoded within the plist. GNUstep would have to reverse engineer it and write custom encoding/decoding methods for each class that could appear in the list (and possibly change things with every release of MacOS-X).

As I understand it, gmodel is already something similar?

Yes.

It looks like an nibtool plist reader could be created in a generic way using keyValueCoding (correct me, if I'm wrong).
Plists can be in XML to be even more "open" and "standard".

No ... because the keys and values used by apple are based on their implementation of classes - which differ from the GNUstep implementation. We would need to hand-craft conversions by reverse engineering apple info.

At some point this may be desirable, but it's a lot of programmer resource which could be (IMO) better spent on fixing bugs, improving performance, and adding important missing features.

I'd rather have faster, more reliable graphics/text handling than nibs which we can port to MacOS-X for instance.