Re: The inevitable autoconf version question...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: The inevitable autoconf version question...
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:16:16 +0000 (GMT)

> What version of autoconf is the team of GNUstep maintainers using?

I'm using the same version you are using, 2.13.

> Here's what I get when I try to tweak configure.in on my RedHat 7.2
> system:
>
> [kaelin@cube base]$ autoconf
> configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:161: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:168: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:171: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:174: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:177: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:180: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling
> configure.in:183: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
> compiling

> autoconf: Undefined macros:
> configure.in:715:AC_SYS_PROCFS
> configure.in:716:AC_SYS_PROCFS_EXE_LINK

These 'Undefined macros' warnings are very worrying - I don't get them if
I run 'autoconf'.

I believe that the base configure files are a bit dirty, in the sense that
some code is not in the blessed place it should be ... I didn't have the
time to clean it yet though.  So in general you need to be quite careful
about touching as little as possible of the configuration files ... :-)
running 'autoconf' should be safe, but for example running 'autoreconf' or
'autoheader' is not.  Make sure you have all configuration files exactly
as they are on CVS.  Now edit configure.in.  Now run 'autoconf' to
generate the new configure.  That should work (you still get the
AC_TRY_RUN complaints, but you should not get the 'Undefined macros'
complaints).  Any other more intelligent way of acting might not work :-)