Re: OPENSTEP 4.2 vmware SVGA in better shape

From: Frederic Stark
Subject: Re: OPENSTEP 4.2 vmware SVGA in better shape
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:48:23 +0100

Gregory Casamento wrote:
It unpacked correctly. When I try it I get:

"unsupported bpp 16"

That's because my 16 bits video board is really 15.

I added a line in the driver to handle the 16 bit case and got it functioning,
but the encoding is wrong so the colors look funny.

You may want to try various values for theDisplayInfo.pixelEncoding ( "RRRRRGGGGGGBBBBB" ? "----RRRRGGGGBBBB" ?)

Anyway, if you boot your vm with the underlying host in 8 bits, it should work. (24 bits could work too, but may also have layout problems) I would like to know if you get the ugly artifacts (move the mouse around and see if it leaves black pixels) as it may come from my video card.

If anyone had a "VMWareSVGA: did not found device at 1080 (INDEX_REG is wrong)" message, drop me a mail. I fixed this in my local version (can occurs if you have more than the strict minimal number of devices in your vm)

Cheers,

--fred