Re: Hi, I'm new

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm new
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:03:35 +0100

>No. The current problem is that the gnustep-base library has not been
>ported. Part of the problem is the compiler on the current release has
>bugs affecting __builtin functions. This has been disabled (which will
>probably cause several things not to work). Additionally there seem to
>be some other problems (memory?, alignment? I'm not really sure) that
>cause prgrams to crash. AFAIK I'm the only one doing fixes on it now,
>and I don't plan to do any more work until I can find a commited Darwin
>developer who can help out.

Hi,

got a mail from Apple today concerning that old nested functions bug (Do
you still remember that?). Apparently this bug is fixed:

> Darwin's gcc 2.95.2 does not support nested functions
> Bug ID # 2701217
>
> Hello Lars,
>
> We have received feedback on your reported issue (included below),
stating
> that it could not be reproduced in an upcoming release of Mac OS X.
> Although we do not have a definite date for this release, a general
release
> notification will be distributed once the software has become finalized.
>
> Upon receipt of this software, we would appreciate it if you would
verify
> this fix when you have the opportunity.
>
> If you should continue to experience your reported issue with the newly
> released software, we would appreciate it if you would submit a new bug
> report specifying that your issue is occurring with the most recent
release
> of Mac OS X.
>
> Premier and Select ADC Members, and those ADC Members who hold Software
Seed
> Keys will have access to pre-release software seeds. If you are not an
ADC
> Member,  please visit our ADC programs page to learn more about our
various
> levels of developer programs, including our (free!) Online membership.
>
>     <http://developer.apple.com/membership/descriptions.html>
>
> Thank you for your time and effort, your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Janet Shah
> Apple Developer Connection
> Worldwide Developer Relations
>
> Send follow ups to <devbugs@apple.com>.

No news on the other bug (__builtin_apply() broken in cc (Darwin 1.3.1 and
Darwin 1.4.1 devtools),
http://www.opensource.apple.com/bugs/X/gcc%20runtime/2783924.html): I
didn't built gcc3 (which is actually gcc 3.1) yet (maily because the cvs
checkout over a phone line takes forever, but really soon now I should get
DSL (it was requested by me last year, but the "Deutsche Telekom" is a
bunch of idle skitters.).).

And if you need some help, I am still here. I might not be the most
experienced developer, but I am learning. What skills are required, which
knowlegde is needed? If you point me in the right directions, I could do
some debugging or find out several things for you (I am lurking on
darwin-development@lists.apple.com and darwin-gcc3@opensource.apple.com
and can ask questions there).

Greetings, Lars