Re: GNUstep: about GNUstep

From: SW Development
Subject: Re: GNUstep: about GNUstep
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:10:14 +0100

Dear GNUstep Developers

I am very interested in porting a very large control system used for process automation in the area of biotechnology to GNUstep. I am a longtime NeXT user (have my own NeXTstation), was a Rhapsody developer (on Intel), and am currently using Mac OS X Server 10.1.3 for my daily activities. I saw the potential of NeXTstep/OPENSTEP back in 1991 and have been determined to use this technology ever since. I am equally convinced that the Mac is a great system however I have restrictions regarding the types of hardware (e.g. remote terminals) that I can install in a factory-floor/industrial type of environment at this time. Furthermore, I would like to provide our system as open source to every university in the world that develops fermentation technology in their biology studies.

I recently ported our process control system from Hewlett Packard's HP-RT (realtime UNIX based on LynxOS) to Solaris 8 on the SPARC platform. The next step (no pun intended) is to migrate to GNUstep/OPENSTEP. I do not have a lot of time to waste and would appreciate it if anyone can give me some tips or other information about GNUstep on Solaris 8. I tried install it about six months ago and was paritally successful, however it wasn't stable and I am still not explicitly sure if there are any major limitations that I have to consider today.

Can you please help me or indicate to me if any of my efforts are worth my while. Thank you very much and thank you for GNUstep!

Best regards,

Chris Beaham
Manager Software Development & Engineering
chris.beaham@pcs-ag.com
development@pcs-ag.com
support@pcs-ag.com

PCS Process Control Systems AG