Re: thoughts on openapp

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: thoughts on openapp
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:23:54 -0500

At 11:21 AM 2/22/02, Pete French wrote:
> If I recall correctly from my NeXTSTEP/OpenStep days, the ProgName.app
> directory was called an "application wrapper" and to run the application,
> one only had to type "ProgName" on the command line.  My recollection may

Under OpenStep to run from the command line you have to type "open XXX.app"
or run "XXX.app/XXX" just like GNUstpe. You can, however, just double click
on the App in the workspace and it runs it (is this functionality in
GSWorkspace?)

To get the name of the App runnable just at the command line simply
link the name of the App inside the app directory into your path. A simple
script at login can do this for you in fact. This then works on both
GNUstep and OpenStep (with the same script)

-bat.

Pete,

Thanks for the correction. I was mostly working on command line tools using emacs (edit, build, debug) and scripts (to run the tools with appropriate args). Much less often, I'd run an app (typically from an icon or finder).

Perhaps "make install" should create a simple script in an appropriate place, i.e. $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools or $GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT/Toosl ...

David