Re: thoughts on openapp

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: thoughts on openapp
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:28:06 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi all, -
>
> > Perhaps we could put a shell script into Tools,
>
> > /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools/EasyDiff
> > ontaining the lines
> > ! /bin/sh
> > exec "/usr/GNUstep/Local/Apps/EasyDiff.app/EasyDiff" "$@"
>
> > when you install EasyDiff.app.
>

> > Then by typing EasyDiff, the app would be started.
>
> > That should work, but ... Any comments about this change ?
>
> You should probably use "openapp" in that script so that the user can move
> the
> Application bundle without breaking the script. (So better don't use symlinks
> either.)

Hmm ... the point is good but perhaps we can ignore that. :-)

The reason is ... well there are not many places where you could move your
application bundle to and still have openapp find it :-)

openapp will only look into 4 of them - $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Apps, and
idem with local, network, and user.

when you install your application, it will be installed in one of these
four places.  I suppose having to move the application from one place to
another one is going to be a rare thing.  The safest way to do it is of
course to do a 'make uninstall' with the old GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR,
then do a 'make install' with the new one.  That will take care of all
symlinks.  If you move the package by hand, well I'm afraid you have to
remove the old symlink and add the new one.

I still quite like the idea that typing 'Gorm' at the command line starts
it, and that it starts it quickly, without cascading through many shell
scripts.  So I'm tempted to implement it this way.  I'm waiting for more
comments before doing it though.