Re: thoughts on openapp

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: thoughts on openapp
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:06:48 +0000 (GMT)

> I'd expect normal users to use GWorkspace to move the application from one
> folder to another and not use 'make uninstall; make install'. This would
> break symlinks, but would work without them.
>
> Maybe openapp should use a user settable APPPATH to look for apps instad
> of the hardcoded four places.

If the normal user moves applications using GWorkspace, I also expect that
he runs applications using GWorkspace :-).  And GWorkspace can run any
application from any location on disk, if you know where the application
is.

openapp can as well - you have to 'cd' to that directory, and run the app
from there.  openapp will first look in the current directory, and execute
the application from there, if it finds it.  If the application is not
there, openapp will look for it into the installation directories.  You
can customize where you want the installation directories on your system
when you configure your system.  If you drop your application into an
installation directory, it will be found.  If you drop it somewhere else,
of course it won't be.

We could customize openapp even more :-) - as you suggest - to support an
additional list of paths to search for applications.  If we find out that
some users definitely need it, I'll be happy to add it.  For now, I'd keep
it on hold though.