Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:15:44 +0000 (GMT)

> > But if you use a new installation of GCC, why not use the GNU
> > runtime on Darwin as well ?  You are not forced to use the Apple
> > runtime.
>
> Is there any advantage / disadvatage for one of the two?

Well - as you certainly know, the GNU and the Apple runtime differ
significantly in their API and internals - and because gnustep was written
to work with the GNU runtime, if you use the GNU runtime, it should/might
just work - while with the Apple runtime you have to port the library -
some work was done, but it's not complete.  In any case, it's much more
work.

Btw, I don't think that loading libobjc twice will make such a big
difference.

Anyway yes - a 'native' port of gnustep under Darwin would use the Apple
runtime - if you want to contribute to make that port, you are welcome - I
was suggesting a possible shortcut.