Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:08:50 +0100

Am Freitag den, 22. Februar 2002, um 21:15, schrieb Nicola Pero:

Well - as you certainly know, the GNU and the Apple runtime differ
significantly in their API and internals

Uhm - no, didn't know that.

 - and because gnustep was written
to work with the GNU runtime, if you use the GNU runtime, it should/might
just work [...] I was suggesting a possible shortcut.

Makes sense - thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't find a working ObjC compiler.

- Apple's cc fails in configure due to a different installation. There is no NXConstStr.h on Darwin / OS X.

- gcc 3.0.4 doesn't compile at all on Darwin - obviously a fitting configuration is missing (function.c:598: `DEFAULT_ABI' undeclared).

- gcc 3.1 with Apple mods bootstraps a working C compiler but fails to build the Obj-C stuff, e.g. libobjc.a. Tried several ways to build the thing. - requested help on the Darwin gcc3 list.

In the meantime, I'll continue with Apple's 2.95.2. Since sources for both runtimes are available, there sould be a way to get it done. And then - I need to get into this GNUstep build mechanism ...

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/