Re: Back from FOSDEM

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Back from FOSDEM
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:49:41 +0100

>I'm finally back from FOSDEM and my whirlwind tour of Europe (well just
>Paris and Belgium). It was great to meet all the developers there and
>see so many people interested in GNUstep. It was inspiring.
>
>We discussed a few things at the developer's meeting. One thing is to
>try to make more frequent releases, perhaps every 6-8 weeks. These
>releases will be less stable. Another topic of discussion was trying to
>make it easier for people to start using GNUstep (compiling and
>installing). We didn't reach a conclusion on that, however.
>
>Here's a list of priorities we discussed for the near future (that I can
>remember).
>
>Text and Glyph improvements!!
>Better drawing support (perhaps with OpenGL)
>Windows backend

What about having a quick and dirty solution first? I don't know if Xfree
86 is supported under Windows, but if, I would recomment to use it for
Windows as a preliminary solution: Although it doesn't look like Windows,
people can at least start to use GNUstep on Windows. If one day then there
are enough users and the itch is strong enough, somebody will eventually
sit down and write a generic Windows backend.

>Documentation
>Gorm improvements
>CORBA (if we can find someone to do it).
>
>--
>Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
>http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you
>                                       | know how I hate the stuff.

greetings, Lars