Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:21:30 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I guess you must have missed it ... NSURL supports http stuff (mime type headers) and suchlike, and the new property list format is XML, and bth NSURL and property lists are part of MacOS-X
Foundation.

OK, I had the impression that new API was added, for XML like a SAX and DOM library and for MIME like JavaMail. BTW: it is not required by the API of Foundation that HTTP URLs are supported ! This capability can easily be added by another library.

So ... far from breaking portability, inclusion of this functionality is critical for ensuring portability with MacOS-X (and we're looking at making this stuff readily usable from MacOS-X apps as well as just usable internally by the base lbrary). Ok, it's not portable with the
(effectively dead) OpenStep spec.

No, MacOSX compatibility is absolutely required, I agree. What I fear (and this already has happened) is that internal API besides Foundation (as specified by MacOSX API) is exported. I see a huge potential in gstep-base for becoming bloated. In my opinion it should be Foundation, nothing more.

Sure, these are features that the old OPENSTEP and libFoundation Foundations lack, but I think
ensuring portability to/from MacOS-X is the first portability priority.

Well, you are wrong here. libFoundation currently lacks non of the features you are talking about ! But it has a minimalistic approach in supporting the MacOSX Foundation, eg XML plists and HTTP URLs are added in user-level libraries, not in the core itself, since this is *NOT* required at all by the MacOSX Foundation API.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been portability between foundations -

gstep-gui has run on NeXTstep Foundation, libFoundation and gstep-base.

Greetings
  Helge