Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:16:46 -0500

Chris B.Vetter wrote:

Ah, good to know I'm not the only one ... ;-)

No, there's more of us out here, believe it or not. :)

Out of curiosity, why is it based on Linux, if it's not supposed to be
a(nother) distribution?

I knew this was coming sooner or later. I saw a lot of this question floating around when Mr. Hardin announced his work.

<political voice>

Linux was chosen as the platform for LinuxSTEP for two reasons:

1.  With a name like LinuxSTEP, would you expect a BSD underneath? ;)
2.  Linux is, currently, in desperate need of an integrated environment.

While it's true that Linux is not always the best choice for a UNIX, it's one that has received a lot of press regarding it's presence in the market. We wanted to help advance the system, and we were very comfortable working within the Linux environment.

</political voice>

That said, Linux may not be the only platform we're developing with... but you didn't hear that from me... ;) I know it sounds cheesy, and I know people hate it when someone says this, but...

... keep watching the web site. More information will be forthcoming shortly, regarding what we're doing, and where we're going.

It wasn't my intention to officially announce LinuxSTEP at this point, but I felt I had to explain my intentions, and my reasoning for posting the proposal.

As I said, I thought about that. Since GNUstep is (kindof) based on
Next/Openstep, and those had a Mach kernel with a BSD wrapped around,
my idea was to base something on xMach (Ian might love that ;-) or
even Darwin.

As I say, keep an eye out... you might be relatively surprised what
comes out of our little project, when we officially announce it. ;)

--

Tim Harrison
harrison@timharrison.com