Re: gdb Objective-C patch

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gdb Objective-C patch
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:26:18 -0600

Just in case you thought it was hard to test this patch, I've appended the instructions for doing this:

======================

Applying and Testing the GDB Objective-C Patch.

1. Get a GDB snapshot and/or update from CVS

A weekly snapshot (gdb+dejagnu-CVS-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2) of the sources
checked out using CVS is available for download from the current
snapshot directory (ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current)

Once you have downloaded and unpacked this snapshot, you can cd to the
src directory and use the command:

cvs login
{enter "anoncvs" as the password}

cvs update

to update to the latest CVS source (although this isn't absolutely
necessary, you can just use the downloaded snapshot directly).

2. Compile and Test gdb BEFORE you apply the patch

This might require installing dejagnu as well. After doing this:

mkdir gdb-build
cd gdb-build
../path_to_gdb_source/configure
make
cd gdb
make check
cd testsuite
mv gdb.sum gdb.sum.before
mv gdb.log gdb.log.before

3. Apply the patch

cd path_to_gdb_source
patch -p0 < current-gdb-objc.patch

Copy the objc* files to the gdb subdirectory.  Also,
move the gdb.objc directory to the gdb/testsuite subdirectory.

4. Make again

cd ../gdb-build
../gdb/configure
make
cd gdb
make check

5. Check that there are no regressions:

cd testsuite
diff gdb.sum.before gdb.sum

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you