Re: ISOLatin2

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: ISOLatin2
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:47:32 +0100

Hi,
On 2002-09-18 12:13:09 +0200 Miroslav Novy <mnovy@ales.cz> wrote:

Hi,
I experience a problem with displaying of a symbol in ISOLatin2 under GNU
step (base-1.4.1, gui-0.8.0, back-0.8.0).
At using iso8859-2 font is displayed * instead of  diacritical marks

If you are using x11 backend then try:

   > defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSFontMask '*-iso8859-2'
   > font_cacher

This will ensure that only latin-2 fonts will be used in gnustep applications.

I will recomend you to use the art backend, I have no problems with encoding
and it has better font rendering (antialiasing).
   > cd core/back
   > ./configure --enable-graphics=art
You have to have libart2 and freetype libraries installed.

You will do best if you get fresh CVS sources.

(ISOLatin2 symbols). My next question is if it is possible to generate a
localizable file from the application.

Use make_strings *.[hm] to extract strings to (for example)
Czech.lproj/Localizable.latin2.strings.
Then after translating that file, convert it from Latin2 encoding into UTF
encoding:

cvtenc -Encoding "ISO Latin-2 East European (ISO-8859-2)"\
      -EscapeIn NO -EscapeOut YES \
      Localizable.latin-2.strings > Localizable.strings

Stefan