Re: GNUstep icons

From: Jim Balhoff
Subject: Re: GNUstep icons
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:38:08 -0400

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 11:39 AM, Enrico Sersale wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Adam Fedor wrote:

What license are they under? Perhaps it would be best to distribute them
as a separate package that could be installed on top of GNUstep.

I'm agreed with this installation solution.

Regarding the license, the problem is that this icons tarball, even if it
is known since a long time, has no Copyright in it.
Unfortunately, we've noticed this only today.
Now we will contact the Icon store's webmaster or the author to know
something...

Since these are mostly copied from NeXTSTEP, wouldn't Apple actually hold the rights to these images (and the 3rd party app icons belong to those parties)?

I've been wondering about a related question: GNUstep copies the NeXT look and feel extensively. Had there ever been any issue with Apple about that? They have certainly been protective of their Aqua interface. Perhaps they just don't really care about the old look?

Regards,
Jim Balhoff