Re: new to gnustep/obj-c

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: new to gnustep/obj-c
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:12:30 +0200

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:08:09PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've known about the GNUStep project for a few years, but wasn't ever
> very interested in it (sorry, it was because it was in obj-c).  I read
> an article on linuxjournal.com (it was /.ed) that changed my perspective
> of obj-c and now i'm vey interested in it.  I want to help out w/ the
> GNUSTep project, so I've started learning more about obj-c (coming from
> a c++ background) by reading that apple objc-c devel book you link to on
> the GNUStep Resources page.  Anway, I've decided that to learn GNUStep
> programming i'm going to write a program that rips cd's and encodes them
> as oggs/mp3s (and then hopefully i will know enough to do real work w/
> GNUStep).  Anyway, i do have a few questions about where the GNUStep
> project is going:
>
> 1. I was kind of hoping their would be an aqua-like interface to gnustep
> , i searched google and saw a old message to this list that said themes
> were being discussed... is that still going on?  I think that more
> people would flock to GNUStep if it was a little bit sexier (no offense
> to all you NEXTStep lovers, i use windowmaker and enjoy it, but the
> default NEXT colors are pretty bland, and some aqua-ish looking stuff
> would be beautiful).

Well I'm currently working on implementing a theme engine...
see http://www.roard.com/screenshots/screenshot_theme17.png for example
It's not finished, but it's on the road ;)

> 2. in the FAQ it says that apple has submitted patches to make gnu obj-c
> work w/ ojb-c++.  What's the status of those patches right now?  are
> they still in limbo, or have they been accepted/denied?

As far as I know, the gcc guys still didn't integrate it (they were very
busy until now with the rewrite of large parts of the C++ support for
gcc 3.x). But apple wrote a patch for the last gcc, so we could hope that it
will be integrated in the main tree quickly... :)
If someone follow the gcc ML and has more informations, I'm also
interessted ;)

> 3.  what about font-aa?  Has this been considered/discussed?  It's not
> really that important to me, but it is nice to have IMHO.

AA fonts works with both -xlib and -art backends.

--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world