Re: new to gnustep/obj-c

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: new to gnustep/obj-c
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:18:02 +0100 (BST)

> 2. in the FAQ it says that apple has submitted patches to make gnu obj-c
> work w/ ojb-c++.  What's the status of those patches right now?  are
> they still in limbo, or have they been accepted/denied?

The general concept that ObjC++ would be a useful addition to the FSF GCC
seems to have been accepted, so the patches are going to be integrated,
subject to technical conditions ... they want to apply the patches after a
new hand written recursive-decendent C++ parser has replaced the existing
yacc generated parser.  As far as I know it's not clear when this new
recursive-descendent C++ parser will be completed, and there are no
timescales known to me for it to be merged into the main FSF GCC; as far
as I understand, C++ is an horribly complicated language, and C++
compilers are horribly complicated pieces of software - writing a new
hand-crafted C++ parser does not look like very easy.

So, while the general concept of ObjC++ has been accepted, and Apple is
trying to merge his ObjC++ support into the main FSF GCC as soon as it
can, I wouldn't expect to find it inside the FSF GCC anytime soon.

Someone who is more interested in the C++ development in GCC might give a
better estimate of when/if we might see ObjC++ in the FSF GCC source tree.