Re: Fighting vs NSClassDescription

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Fighting vs NSClassDescription
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:57:07 +0100

On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 11:10 AM, David Wetzel wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a framework that

has methods like attributeKeys etc. But after re-installing GS-Base the runtime calls the methods from NSClassDescriptionPrimitives.

Is there an other way than changing my Class to override this methods?
I have them in a category in my DataBase-framework...

On Apple with EOF this works too without overriding the stuff from NSClassDescriptionPrimitives. Do they some special magic there?

The attributeKeys method is documented as being in a category of NSObject in MacOS-X (as it is in GNUstep). Where two categories of a class contain the same method, the choice of which method is used is officially
undefined.

In theory, that means that the fact that it works for you on MacOS-X is just luck, and you may find it ceases to work for you in another version of the system (or even if you change the number or order
of libraries/frameworks you link with).

I think the safest way of doing things where categories are involved, is to override the methods in
a class of your own.