Re: GNUMail hangs

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: Re: GNUMail hangs
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:25:22 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi there,

Hi Scott,

Sorry for my late answer.

>   I'm running GNUMail (latest release) and
> can't get it to read from the local mail
> spool file.  I configured a UNIX service
> through the Preferences dialog.  And
> configure it to download mail in the
> Local/Inbox folder.  Then, whenever I
> click "Get" button on the folder view,
> it just spins the gnustep symbol and
> won't respond to user events.  The mail
> in /var/mail/user file never shows up in
> the inbox.

I've just made a simple test here and it works they way it should.

> I attempted to debug using gdb and setting
> breakpoints in LocalMailDelivery.m methods.
> No breakpoint was ever triggered.
>
> I'm asking for any help with the following...
> (1) Tips/tricks for setting up local spool
> mail with GNUMail.

Could you send me your ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults ? (remove any
sensitive information first, if you want). I'll help me tracking the
problem you're having.

> (2) Tips for debugging objective C applications.

make debug=yes; debugapp TheApp.debug are your friends.

Also, when the app seems to not be responding anymore but you haven't
started it from gdb, you can still attach a gdb process to it in order to
obtain stack trace.

For example, if you've started GNUMail.app using openapp and the process
seems to have frozen, you can attach a gdb process by doing:

gdb GNUMail.app/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/GNUMail <pid>

(where <pid> should be replaced by the current process id of the
application).

Send me the trace you obtain by doing so with the above problem you're
describing.

Reply to me privately so you won't send those files to the list.

Thanks,
        Ludovic

--
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.