Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:26:42 -0400

<<As a relatively new GNUstep programmer, I have $.02 to add on this. The
projects you mention are already very mature; it's easier for someone to
see how they can make a significant contribution to GNUstep than to Gnome
or KDE, which is one of the reasons I'm here instead of on a Gnome or KDE
mailing list. The other reason is that c++ is very (some might say
needlessly) complex, while Objective C is simple but just as powerful.

Also, people are constantly complaining about how usability of Linux
apps, and I think that GNUstep will address this issue better than Gnome
or KDE once it matures. OS X is pretty because of Apple's extensions, but
IMO it's more usable even than Windows because of its *step foundation.>>

I agree with all of that.  But the project could probably do with a
higher profile and a more sexy image.  When Slashdot runs it's (rare)
story about GNUstep, it gets a small number of replies, most of which are
either "Is that thing even still alive?" or "What's the point of this
project?".  I think that emphasizing the project in the Cocoa community
is probably the best way to get a *large* number of interested
developers.  And that probably means at least trying to make porting easy
and appealing.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.