Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:37:24 +0100

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 01:18 AM, Chris Hanson wrote:

Three things that would get Mac OS X developers using GNUstep:

* 100% of the basic AppKit working. I don't know where GNUstep stands on this right now. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles that the Cocoa AppKit does, but it also has to not have huge gaps in major functionality.

I guess that depends on what you consider huge gaps ...

* The ability to easily port from Cocoa to GNUstep. A simple nib converter that's completely independent of GNUstep would go a long way here.

What's the benefit of a nib converter being 'independent' of gnustep? I'm not even sure what this means ... how could it possibly be independent of GNUstep if it's converting nibs for it? Practically though ...I think it's likely to be better to develop under GNUstep and port to Cocoa than the other way round for a *LONG* time to come - simply because there is no likelyhood that Apple will ever put any consideration into making the port away from Cocoa easy. At least GNUstep provides some facilities for ensuring that you write portable code and a tool for converting user interfaces.

> * Windows support that they can deploy commercial applications with (i.e. no cygwin).

Well GNUstep doesn't use cygwin anyway.