Re: NSSavePanel - Visited files fontification (patch)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: NSSavePanel - Visited files fontification (patch)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:32:21 +0100

Hi Nicola,

On 2002-09-27 01:25:00 +0200 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

Stefan,

I quite like the idea! :-) brilliant - taken from web browsers I guess -

Actually I did not thought of a web browser when I wrote it, I thought of me
lost in the dark directory forest looking for the right path :-)
so yes I'd like to apply your patch ... but I have an obvious suggestion -

Hi,

Attached is an experimental patch for NSSavePanel/NSOpenPanel to fontify
visited files in those panels. This fontification is good for
better orientation and faster location of files.

If you choose a file (by pressing the OK button) in the panel, the file is
remembered. Next time you open one of these two panels, each
component of the path to that file will be written in bold font. The
behaviour can be enabled using defaults:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFontifyVisitedFiles YES

Count of files remembered per directory is stored in NSVisitedFilesCount
(default is 3).

What about instead storing, say, the last 50 [number configurable] visited
files in a single global list ?

You might well have a very big messy directory (for example, my home
directory) where you have more than 3 files that you open often, and still
you don't want the list to grow too big.

Also, storing on a per directory basis has the risk that as time passes,
your gnustep defaults will be clobbered by lots of visited files for
directories which no longer exists :-)

If we keep a single big list of, say, 50 paths, then we are sure the space
the `visited files cache' takes up in the gnustep defaults is limited.

I'd prefer it.

Not a bad idea, I think, we should agree on that.

Have a nice day,

Stefan