Re: GNUstep filesystem spec

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem spec
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 04:17:49 -0400

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Nicola Pero wrote:
> >>I've added a documentation about the GNUstep filesystem layout, based on
> >>some documentation written by the LinuxStep.org crew, on CVS at
> >>
> >>make/Documentation/filesystem.texi
> >>

> > Thanks - I appreciate the document - it's good to have clear documents
> > explaining to new people where things are, what the philosophy is etc.
> >
> > But at a first reading, I see quite a few major things which need
> > fixing in the document.  I've started reading about domains.
>
> There was some discussion about the Network domain on the list, although
> perhaps it wasn't definitive. Also, this is how NeXTStep and MacOSX did
> it, not that that is definitive either.

NeXTstep didn't do that.

NFS mounts showed up in the /Net directory (created on demand) by default.
This behavior was trivially changeable -- I have /home mounted via NFS.
Separately from that, there were well-known /NetApps, /NetDeveloper, and
/NetLibrary directories that didn't exist unless you created them.