Re: Compile problems with -g ?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Compile problems with -g ?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:04:14 +0100 (BST)

> I am using gcc3.0.4 and the latest version of base from CVS. I am compiling
> using the '-g' option as I want to do some debugging.
>
> Compiling base gives:
>
> gcc30 -g GSXML.m -c \
>       [... snip ...]
> GSXML.m:3151: Internal compiler error in dwarf2out_finish, at
> dwarf2out.c:11277
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
>
> System is FreeBSD 4.7 - I know someone here said they could build on FreeBSD
> with the debug options turned on. It concerns me as I want to run gdb on
> the code, but if I cant build base with -g then I am a bit buggered :-)

Don't forget to try building a simple testcase for the gcc failure ...

Start with the full GSXML.m file, then get gcc to preprocess it and give
you a fully preprocessed file (run gcc with -E).  Check that compiling the
preprocessed source still crashes the compiler.  Then, start removing code
from the preprocessed thing trying to keep the failure ... then removing
compiler flags etc if you can end up with a few lines of code which crash
the compiler, and submit it to GNATS, it will hopefully be fixed (or, you
can check that it has already been fixed on more recent GCCs)!  It's quite
long as a process, but might be rewarding :-)