Re: openapp/opentool idea

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: openapp/opentool idea
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 01:32:50 +0000 (GMT)

> Remember that GNUstep.sh takes a relatively long time to execute.  Even on
> my 2GHz machine there is about a 1 second pause for this script to run (the
> first time).

Are you using gnustep-make from CVS ?

The new version on CVS should be faster as it's caching the os/cpu/vendor
from gnustep-make's configure step.  On my machine it's faster. :-)

[You can still get the old behaviour (useful for more advanced usages,
such as sharing GNUstep.sh itself across a network of different machines)
by configuring gnustep-make via ./configure --enable-multi-platform]

Still, I agree with you that GNUstep.sh is a bit slow, which is one of the
reasons it's quite better for the user to source it at the very beginning.

The other real alternative would be to set up things in such a way that
the user (as opposed to a developer) has not to source it at all ...
anyway - sort of future wishes. :-)

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been wondering about the "boot-strap" problem of GNUstep. The
> > fact that you need to run GNUstep.sh before you can do anything...
> >
> > With the current laptop I need for work I decided to build a GNUstep
> > desktop and actually start using it as my daily interface to my
> > computer. On the move from home to work, I decided to add .
> > /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh to openapp and opentool and to
> > symlink both to /usr/bin.
> >
> > I did that and have worked the entire day with the solution, and to be
> > honest I am quite happy with it. I can openapp Every.app I like. Is this
> > a solution to include in gnustep-make?

Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

At the moment, I'd say that sourcing GNUstep.sh at the beginning remains
the better solution ... but we might be slowly investigate other options,
so keep sending useful suggestions and comments :-)